Saturday 3 September 2011

Dealing with addictions on a budget

Coffee has taken on inappropriate importance in my life, and I'm pretty precious about it.  Need decent beans, fresh ground and ideally espresso machine brewed.  I take my coffee with cream several times a day.  Back in the salad days when I had some more disposable income, I bought one of these Nespresso machines, you know the one George Clooney promotes (I got it on a promotion for half-price and it has more than paid for itself).  The problem is you need to mail-order the coffee pods direct from Nespresso and while cheaper then going to Starbucks every day they aren't cheap when you add shipping.  So I started refilling the pods and they work great:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Reuse-your-nespresso-capsules-simple-and-easy-and-/
If you get one of these Starbucks cards and register it online, every time you get a bag of beans (about £3.50) you get a free tall drink.  (When I have to pay for the coffee, I  stretch the savings by getting a short latte with whole milk and an extra shot, the extra shots are free with the starbucks card, which is the same thing as a flat white but cheaper).  The Nespresso pods are small so a bag of coffee lasts near forever.  Its a bit labor intensive refilling the pods.  It feels like I'm cutting and packaging cocaine, at least from what I see in the movies.  I don't do it in my underwear though, at least not yet.  If you don't have a Nespresso machine, I would consider getting housemates or coworkers to pitch in and spread out the cost and labor.  I'll probably bring it to the production I'm starting and get the community chorus to pack the pods with coffee (in their underwear!)

No comments:

Post a Comment